Summer is nearly here and with it comes a whole range of new and exciting ingredients and slimming recipes. If 2020 has taught us anything it is that the importance of health cannot be overstated. Now more than ever it is the time to be looking after our individual health and a big part of that comes down to nutrition.
What we consume on a daily basis has an incredibly high impact on not only our immune system, but also our ability to achieve any health and fitness goal. More often than not we find ourselves falling into a routine of eating the same foods on a daily basis. Whilst it is not necessarily a bad thing being in a routine, it always helps when there are a new and exciting additions in the rotation to keep you motivated.
Read on for 3 summer slimming recipes that will reinvigorate you coming in to the warmer months.
Mexican Breakfast Bowl
Mexican (if done well), can be incredibly healthy, and is a great option to start the day a bit differently. Combining a lot of fresh ingredients this meal has all the healthy carbs, proteins and fats required to fuel the body for the rest of the day.
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 1 small container cherry tomatoes, quartered
– ¼ cup finely chopped brown onion
– ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
– 1 tablespoon lime juice
– ¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
– 1 tin black beans (drained)
– 8 eggs
– 1 ripe avocado (sliced)
– Jar of salsa
– ½ cup low fat shredded cheese
– Chili flakes (optional)
– In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the tomatoes, brown onion, coriander and lime juice. Stir to combine, and set aside to marinate.
– Warm the black beans on a non-stick pan, stirring regularly.
– In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until nice and smooth.
– In the same pan as the black beans, pour the eggs on a low heat.
– Reduce the heat to low and stir the eggs frequently to allow for even cooking.
– To assemble the bowls, divide tomatoes and scrambled eggs evenly into 4 bowls.
– Top each bowl with a few slices of thinly sliced avocado, and sprinkle with cheese, chilli (optional) and salsa.
Chicken, avocado and strawberry salad
Nothing says ‘summer is here’ than adding some delicious fruit to a salad. When it comes to the best fruit to have in a salad, strawberry is king.
Because it is lower carb and incredibly high in antioxidants.
This summer salad recipe is definitely not one to miss.
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 6 cups fresh baby spinach
– 800g chicken breast
– 1 punnet strawberries, sliced
– 1 avocado, sliced
– 200g crumbled low fat feta
– ¼ cup sliced almonds
– ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees
– Slice the chicken breast into thin strips and season with salt and pepper
– Drizzle with lemon juice and bake until cooked through.
– In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and toss until well mixed.
– Place salad on plates and add warm chicken on top evenly
Greek Barbecued Prawn Salad
Would it be summer in Australia without having some prawns on the barbie?
Not according to the stereotypes.
This barbecued prawn salad is well worth that stereotype however and is one of those fantastic summer slimming recipes that is a great option at the end of a hot day.
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice, plus 1/4 cup extra
– 2 1/2 tablespoon honey
– 4 clove garlic, crushed
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 600 grams peeled green prawns, tails intact
– 100 grams baby spinach leaves
– 100g red onion, thinly sliced
– 250 grams cherry tomatoes, halved
– 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh mint leaves
– 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh basil leaves
– 100 grams low fat feta, coarsely chopped
– Combine the juice, 1 tbsp honey, garlic, pepper and prawns in a large bowl.
– Cook prawns, on a heated barbecue until browned and just cooked through.
– Meanwhile, combine extra juice and remaining honey in a small jug.
– Combine prawns with remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
– Drizzle with dressing of choice, toss to combine.
Want To Learn More?
Since COVID-19 entered our lives, we have aimed to deliver some great weekly information as to how you can remain healthy, productive and in good spirits. This blog post is the latest addition to a growing library of information. Click to read more on our dedicated COVID support blogs.
Over the last 4 years Authentic Personal Training has established itself as a leading health and fitness studio on the Lower North Shore. We are incredibly proud to announce that we have been voted The Best Fitness Business on The North Shore for 2019.
Join us on our Facebook page:
To book a complimentary Outdoor Personal Training Session with one of Sydney’s most experienced Personal Trainers, simply fill out the form below