What happens when the gym reopens is crucial to ensure that you are entering a clean and hygienic facility. With the news that gyms will be opening again on the 13th June, it is important to be confident in your fitness facilities ability to provide a safe and hygienic space. Whilst gyms are often perceived to be an unhygienic business (and fair enough there is a bit of sweat involved), it is often this perception that forces them to be held to a much higher standard compared to businesses that hold a similar amount of people.
With the governments 3-step plan to re-open the country announced a few weeks ago, we thought that it would be a good idea to create a similar plan for the studio. We do this with the aim of ensuring that our member-base feels as comfortable as possible with the thought of returning back inside.
The team at Authentic Personal Training has always prided itself on its hygiene standards and as a smaller facility it is much easier to maintain them compared to a bigger gym.
We are excited to share our 3-step plan for reopening below.
- With 160sqm of usable floor space, under the current Government guidelines, we would be able to fit 40 people.
- Our team has completed their Infection Control Training – COVID-19 qualified as set out by the NSW Department of Health
- We have 45+ years industry experience
Step 1 – Saturday 13th June
In this first step, we will be opening the doors but in a more limited fashion. To continue the need for social distancing and abiding by the 4 square metre rule, we will only be open for Personal Training sessions (Group Classes will remain online and outdoors).
- Useable studio floor space = 160 square meters. Under the 4 square meter rule, this allows 40 people. Initially we will be capping it at 12 people (6 trainers & 6 members) at any one time.
- An Infrared Thermometer will be available so we can take temperatures prior to sessions.
- There will be no shared equipment during sessions.
- All touch points will be cleaned before, during and after sessions.
- The studio will be getting professionally cleaned 3x p/week and cleaned daily by the team.
- Everyone should be encouraged to utilise the COVIDSafe app.
- Outdoor PT can still happen if that is the members preference.
- Selected Group Exercise classes will be outdoors, the rest remain online.
Step 2 – Studio Opens (Personal Training + Own Use)
In this second step, we will be allowing members to come in and use the studio on their own outside of sessions in off-peak times. We have more than enough space to allow for this to occur if everyone follows cleanliness guidelines.
Group Classes will remain online and outdoors in Step 2 and all relevant guidelines from Step 1 will remain in place.
Step 3 – Studio Opens Fully (Group Classes Back Indoors)
In the third (and final) stage of our re-opening plan, we will be bringing our Group Exercise classes back into the studio but using a booking system to reserve a spot. Classes will be capped to 10 so we can allow for safe social distancing and ensuring we can still offer our high standards and personalised approach.
We anticipate that we will be including online classes as part of our memberships moving forward as we want our members to still be able to exercise in a group setting without feeling like they are risking their health.
Whilst we are unable to give you a definitive time line on when these 3 steps will be occurring, we want all our members to know that their health is our #1 priority.
The above plan allows us to re-open, but does not allow complacency and lowers risk as much as possible.
Gyms Reopening Amidst COVID-19
What you need to know and ask to ensure a safe return.
With the announcement that gyms will reopen on the 13th June, it is hugely important that you feel comfortable PRIOR to stepping foot in a facility. What happens when the gym reopens will go a long way to show how seriously they are taking this pandemic.
There are a few key questions that you should have answered before going back in. Hopefully your facility is on the front foot with this, but if they have not made their announcements yet, below are 5 questions that you could ask to gain some more clarity.
- How are your cleanliness and hygiene standards being upgraded for re-opening?
- Are all of your staff COVID-19 qualified as set out by the NSW Department of Health?
- Will you be taking temperatures upon entry and providing wipes throughout the facility?
- How are you altering your current offering to ensure that safe distancing is abided by?
- How are you monitoring the gym floor to make sure standards are upheld?
It is important to note, that similar to restaurants, bars and clubs, that there are different types of fitness facilities and as such there will be varying ranges of issues to take into account.
- How can a 24/7 gym ensure cleanliness when they are un-staffed a lot of the time?
- How can a group exercise only facility ensure safe distancing and no shared equipment is occurring?
- What can a large gym with thousands of members do to ensure that all machines are cleaned before & after every individual use?
All of these questions still need to be answered, and if the business has any foresight, hopefully they have been addressing them already. If they cannot answer questions around what happens when the gym reopens then you should seriously consider whether or not you should look at other facilities.
The Benefit Of Our Small Studio
The wonderful thing about having a boutique studio like Authentic Personal Training is that it is a much smaller space to maintain, monitor and ensure that we are keeping it as clean as possible for our members.
We feel incredibly confident that when we are allowed to reopen, that we are doing so with the best planning possible and the experience to know that we can deliver on those plans consistently.
Hopefully the above factors have helped you gain a better understanding around what happens when the gym reopens. We look forward to seeing you in the studio with us soon.
Since COVID-19 entered our lives, we have aimed to deliver some great weekly information as to how you can remain healthy, productive and in good spirits. This blog post is the latest addition to a growing library of information.
To read more on these topics click below:
- Boost your immune system now, thank yourself later
- Immune boosting recipes to help you avoid illness
- Create balance when you work from home
- Lose weight (or avoid weight gain) at home
- Keep food exciting during lockdown – 4 tips to success
- Iso-Cooking Recipes – 3 Immune Boosting Options
- Create Structure In Lockdown – Tips To Success
- How to Keep Your Relationship With Alcohol Healthy During Lockdown
- What COVID-19 Has Taught Us About Our Health
- Immune Boosting Winter Recipes
- The 4 Most Common Mistakes With Home Workouts
Over the last 4 years Authentic Personal Training has established itself as a leading health and fitness studio on the Lower North Shore. We are incredibly proud to announce that we have been voted The Best Fitness Business on The North Shore for 2019.
Join us on our Facebook page:
To book a complimentary Outdoor Personal Training Session with one of Sydney’s most experienced Personal Trainers, simply fill out the form below