Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese
A Spaghetti bolognese recipe without the guilt? It sounds too good to be true doesn’t it? Well this low-carb take on a family favourite is definitely the way forward. It requires a little bit of work but that work is worth it when you serve up a meal that the whole family will enjoy. A recipe that also improves with age, this spaghetti squash bolognese is wonderful reheated as left overs in the following days.
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 1 kg, 1/2 kg per serve)
- 1 package lean mince meat (lamb used here)
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced
- 3-5 mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Tip! To make it easier cutting the squash: Pierce squash a few times with a knife then microwave for 3-5 minutes, allowing it to cool before cutting.
- Preheat oven to 200º C
- Carefully cut the squash in a half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds.
- Brush the inside of both halves with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the two halves cut side down on a baking sheet or oven safe casserole dish.
- Roast the squash until tender, about 30 minutes. Allow several minutes to cool.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides to create a spaghetti-like texture. Leave insides in the squash or transfer to bowl for serving.
While squash is roasting:
- Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they start to sweat.
- Stir in the minced garlic, capsicum and mushrooms; cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the mince meat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and mix until cooked through, while breaking the meat into small crumbles, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano. Bring to a simmer.
- Spread the tomato meat sauce evenly on top on the squash “spaghetti.”
Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Want To Learn More?
Since COVID-19 entered our lives, we have aimed to deliver some great weekly information as to how you can remain healthy, productive and in good spirits. This blog post is the latest addition to a growing library of information. Click to read more on our dedicated COVID support blogs.
Over the last 5 years Authentic Personal Training has established itself as a leading health and fitness studio on the Lower North Shore. We are incredibly proud to announce that we have been voted The Best Fitness Business on The North Shore for 2019.
Join us on our Facebook page:
To book a complimentary Outdoor Personal Training Session with one of Sydney’s most experienced Personal Trainers, simply fill out the form below