Pork & Bean Burrito Bowl Recipe
If you are looking for a healthy lunch recipe this winter, look no further than this pork and bean burrito bowl. It is a Mexican inspired dish that is full of not only flavour, but healthy vitamins and minerals. It takes a little bit of assembly, but the ingredients last for days and the effort is more than worth it. With wonderful amounts of lean protein, healthy fats and fibrous carbohydrates, this pork and bean burrito bowl recipe is an all-round winner.
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 425g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 lean pork loin steaks, fat trimmed
- 200g cabbage, finely shredded
- 60g baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, coarsely chopped, plus extra, to serve
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ small avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup natural yoghurt
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add beans and tomato.
- Cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over high heat. Combine rind, ½ tsp chilli and a large pinch of sea salt in a bowl. Rub over the pork. Spray with olive oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until the pork is just cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Thickly slice.
- Combine the cabbage, spinach, carrot and coriander in a large bowl. Whisk the honey, 1 tablespoon juice and remaining oil and chilli in a small bowl. Add to slaw. Toss to combine.
- Divide the slaw among bowls. Top with the bean mixture, pork and avocado. Serve with yoghurt, extra lime wedges and coriander.
Want To Learn More?
Since COVID-19 entered our lives, we have aimed to deliver some great weekly information as to how you can remain healthy, productive and in good spirits. This blog post is the latest addition to a growing library of information. Click to read more on our dedicated COVID support blogs.
Over the last 5 years Authentic Personal Training has established itself as a leading health and fitness studio on the Lower North Shore. We are incredibly proud to announce that we have been voted The Best Fitness Business on The North Shore for 2019.
Join us on our Facebook page:
To book a complimentary Personal Training Session with one of Sydney’s most experienced Personal Trainers, simply fill out the form below