Healthy (ish) Gingerbread Cake Recipe
Try this healthy (ish) gingerbread cake recipe as a Christmas treat that won’t stretch the belt buckles too much this year. With some handy sugar-replacements it is a great option for those who are looking to still enjoy their food without too much of the downside. As always with these healthy (ish) recipes, common sense should always prevail. Try not to eat this all at once!
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 40 mins Serves: 12
- 2 ½ cups whole grain flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons Gingerbread Spice mix
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and heat to 175C.
- Prepare a 20cm x 20cm baking pan by either generously greasing and flouring or by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare and measure all ingredients using measuring cups.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, gingerbread spice mix, and salt. Set aside.
- In another larger mixing bowl, combine softened coconut oil and coconut sugar and use an electric mixer to beat until creamy.
- Add molasses and stir with mixer until well combined.
- Add egg and stir again.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet until everything is completely combined. The batter will be quite dense.
- Carefully stir in boiling water until ingredients are smooth and well-combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 40 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the centre come out almost clean).
- Remove the cake from the oven. Allow it to cool in the pan for a few minutes before carefully lifting it out.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool, slice, and serve.
Want To Learn More?
Since COVID-19 entered our lives, we have aimed to deliver some great weekly information as to how you can remain healthy, productive and in good spirits. This blog post is the latest addition to a growing library of information. Click to read more on our dedicated COVID support blogs.
Over the last 5 years Authentic Personal Training has established itself as a leading health and fitness studio on the Lower North Shore. We are incredibly proud to announce that we have been voted The Best Fitness Business on The North Shore for 2019.
Join us on our Facebook page:
To book a complimentary Outdoor Personal Training Session with one of Sydney’s most experienced Personal Trainers, simply fill out the form below