Stay on track with your goals with these healthy holiday recipes. We are about to enter the most enjoyable, celebratory and fun time of the year. It is also a time when losing track of goals and health can easily occur.
If you take a proactive approach however, you can have the best of both worlds. Health and gluttony! Sounds like a pretty good deal to us!
Below you will find 4 different healthy holiday recipes that are designed to help you navigate this tricky time of year. They are all healthy relative to other options and will give you the ability to feel that you are eating something far more naughty than they really are.
Healthy Roast Pork With Festive Spicy Cabbage
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
- 2kg sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 750g pork tenderloin
- ¼ cup healthy barbecue sauce
- ½ medium head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- In a large tray lined with baking paper, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt;
- Roast at 220 degrees (fan forced) for 30 minutes.
- In a deep pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high.
- Season pork tenderloin with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Brown pork on all sides and transfer to baking sheet with potatoes.
- Brush pork with barbecue sauce and roast for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- In the same pan as the pork was cooked, add red cabbage, spring onions, jalapeno and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cook 12 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring. Stir in cider vinegar.
- Serve pork with potatoes and cabbage.
One Pan Turkey Breast & Healthy Veggies
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 3 hours
- 1 Lemon
- 6 tbsp. salt reduced butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2kg turkey-breast, deboned
- 500g medium shallots, halved lengthwise (left in their skins)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 500g small purple potatoes, scrubbed and halved lengthwise
- 300g small parsnips, trimmed, scrubbed and halved lengthwise
- 500g small thin carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- Heat oven to 220 degrees. With vegetable peeler, remove 6 strips lemon zest, avoiding white pith; thinly slice crosswise.
- In small bowl, combine butter, garlic, mustard, lemon zest and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper; set aside.
- Rub butter mixture all over turkey breast
- On large rimmed baking sheet, toss shallots with oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Arrange them in centre of sheet and place turkey on top.
- Roast 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer turkey to cutting board. Add potatoes, carrots and parsnips to baking sheet and toss with shallots and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Arrange in even layer. Place turkey on top of vegetables and roast until turkey registers 71 degrees on instant-read thermometer and vegetables are golden brown and tender.
- If vegetables are done before turkey, simply remove them from the pan.
- Transfer turkey to clean cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with pan juices and vegetables.
Prawns & Spicy Jalapeno Dip
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 fresh jalapeno chillies
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
- ½ cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2kg cooked large prawns
- Deseed and finely chop 1 jalapeno. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop remaining jalapeno and place in a blender with the avocado, sour cream, lime rind, 1 1⁄2 tablespoons juice, parsley, mint, coriander, garlic, ground cumin and ground coriander.
- With motor running, add oil and water in a slow, steady stream until smooth and well combined, scraping side of blender once.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons red onion and most of the reserved jalapeno.
- Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with remaining onion and jalapeno.
- Place the prawns on a serving platter.
- Serve with the dip.
Keto Fruit Crackles
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Line a mini muffin tin with liners.
- In each cup, add 2 teaspoons melted dark chocolate.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top
- Drizzle with more melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, 20 minutes.
- Unwrap and serve.
Want To Learn More?
Since COVID-19 entered our lives, we have aimed to deliver some great weekly information as to how you can remain healthy, productive and in good spirits. This blog post is the latest addition to a growing library of information. Click to read more on our dedicated COVID support blogs.
Over the last 4 years Authentic Personal Training has established itself as a leading health and fitness studio on the Lower North Shore. We are incredibly proud to announce that we have been voted The Best Fitness Business on The North Shore for 2019.
Join us on our Facebook page:
To book a complimentary Outdoor Personal Training Session with one of Sydney’s most experienced Personal Trainers, simply fill out the form below